Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My 10 year old mini pinn had surgery about 30 days ago to remove

Customer Question

My 10 year old mini pinn had surgery about 30 days ago to remove stones. I discovered his issue when I saw blood in his urine. He was okay for 3 weeks then all of a sudden he got extremely nauseated. I had changed his diet and added more protein because he loves freshly cooked chicken etc; prior I had been feeding him the C/D formulary diet. He hated it and I had a hard time making him eat. He has been nauseated for a week now and looks sick however I took his temp and it was normal and his urine is as well. I took him to a vet that I don't like however I have been going there for years. She is a good surgeon but has no business being one on one with customers. She got mad at me because I tried holistic methods, i.e., probiotic and cranberry powder as well as tinkle tonic to help him get back on track. I also have tried using phytomucil for the nausea this past week. She kept saying we need to do a full blood panel. My question is couldn't she treat the symptoms??? She is know for putting a bandaid fix on everything. I need some direction. P.s. we did check for pancreas issues.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Charlie. I'm so sorry you're in this frustrating situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation by typing in what you want to say, then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and can ACCEPT my answer so I receive credit for helping you.
I know it's really frustrating to have a medical professional be upset with you for trying holistic methods first. I'm so sorry that happened. We use both holistic and traditional methods here at my clinic and I know how helpful they can be.
Regardless of her unprofessional interaction with you, this vet is actually right on target. Sure... you could just treat the symptoms, but that's only a guess, nothing more. And in a case like this where Charlie has already been through a lot and you've tried several things already and he's still not doing well, I really do think it's time to get answers.
A lot could have changed in the in the 30 days since Charlie's surgery. Even if everything on his blood panel was fine at that time, it might not be anymore. I'm to worried about him to take a chance with that. The biggest thing I'm worried about that could cause nausea is kidney disease. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be the first time a dog like Charlie developed clinical kidney disease at a time like this.
Like you, I would have also been inclined to try holistic and natural remedies first, but since that's not working, I would want to pursue an actual diagnosis very aggressively. We need to know what's going on here so you can begin the *right* treatment that will get Charlie the relief he needs.
I'd do the blood panel. In all honesty, anything less would be "just putting a band-aid on it".
I know that might not be what you want to hear, but I feel very strongly - for Charlie's sake - that I need to be completely honest and accurate in my answer to you.
Please let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just checking in to ask how things are going with Charlie today. Is he feeling any better? Please let me know how else I can help. I know your situation is a complicated and difficult one and I want to be as helpful as possible.
Thank you.