brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I have a 61/2 month old female lab. I want to get her spayed.

Customer Question

I have a 61/2 month old female lab. I want to get her spayed. Is she too young. How old should she be? Can this operating cause health issues later in life?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
This is a topic of some controversy. In the past, almost every general practitioner would have told you to spay her now. More recently though, we have been seeing more evidence that waiting to spay until after 1 year of age is beneficial in preventing orthopedic issues such as cranial cruciate ligament ruptures and problems from hip dysplasia.
On the other hand, you do need to endure one heat cycle before her spay. Also, we do see a slight increase in risk of mammary tumors in dogs that are spayed after the first heat cycle.
At this time, we are all looking at the new published studies and weighing the risk of mammary tumors with orthopedic problems. Because orthopedic issues are so much more common, at this time, I recommend waiting to spay her until after 1 year of age.
Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.