Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Large German Shepard has severe loss of appetite normal

Customer Question

Large German Shepard has severe loss of appetite for his normal food and throws up a big part of what he does eat almost immediately. Will eat hot dogs. Takes seizure meds and has hip displatia but have to put that med in hot dog to get it in him. Also breaths much harder andfaster.
Recovered from very abusive situatio about 9 years ago and our Vet cannot see him because of extreme aggression.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Is he on any other medication besides the seizure medication?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Does he ever vomit without food?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other meds other than glucosomine.Been going on about two weeks.
Does not throw up unless he just ate.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when we see vomiting of undigested food it is called "regurgitation" as the food has not been digested. There are many possible causes for regurgitation. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, possible causes are: Esophagus disorders (megaesophagus, strictures, parasites), gastritis, tumors or even part of a systemic disease.
As far as the increase in breathing it can be related to any of the above conditions. Or, he may have a totally different problem like: Pain from his hips, heart/lung disease, etc.
I understand it is difficult taking him to see family vet. But, at this stage, I would highly recommend you consider having him checked by your family veterinarian for xrays and blood work as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. You can speak to your vet about dispensing a tranquilizer to be given at home. Or, your vet can sedate him in the clinic. In the meantime, this is what you can do:
1- Divide his meal to smaller amounts 4-6 times a day. Add some water to make it as loose as possible.
2- Raise his eating bowl on to a small stool to force him to raise his head while he eats.
3- Follow up with family veterinarian.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter