benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian
Experience:  Companion animal medicine and homeopathy
72094388

Our dogs got into some chocolate today. Not sure what

Customer Question

Hello, our dogs got into some chocolate today. Not sure what time or how much each one ate, was half white chocolate and half milk chocolate. Bailey is 14 weeks old and 3 kegs and Layla is 10 months old and 5kgs, should we be worried
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  benedetta7 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Benedetta, and I would like to help with your question.
White and milk chocolate have lower toxicity than dark, but depending on the quantity, they can still be sick with the specific chocolate toxicity.
They can also get sick with pancreatitis due to high amount of fat in chocolate.
so if they have ingested within the last hour, I advice to make them vomit, by giving them a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide, and walking them quickly for a few minute.
In the meantime, I will look the amount of chocolate required to cause a toxicity and get back to you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a maximum of 100grms, and while we were at work so at least 5 hrs ago. Maybe longer
Expert:  benedetta7 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, milk chocolate toxic dose for a 3 kg dog is about 40 gr, or 1.5 oz, and for a 5 kg is 85 gr, or 3 oz. This is the dose at which we see excitement, palpitation, and potential for seizures.
about half that dose will cause a moderate reaction, so you should still induce vomiting, or taking them to your veterinarian for appropriate treatment.
white chocolate is a problem only for fat content.
IMO it would be safer to have them seen, because of the uncertainty and their small siz
Expert:  benedetta7 replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

benedetta7