DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

It is 4am. My dog started acting peculiar last night around

Customer Question

It is 4am. My dog started acting peculiar last night around 8pm when I asked if he wanted to go out for a walk. He is usually excited for a walk but he didn't seem interested. He seemed withdrawn. I took him outside. He walked for a few feet, peed and it was obvious he didn't want to go for a walk. I took him inside.
We went to bed. He whimpered off and on for a couple hours. He fell asleep. We woke up around 4am and he started whimpering again. I tried to give him water. Not interested. I took him outside. He just stood there hunched over. He's never been sick before like this. I don't know if he needs to go to a vet right away or not.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help.Any vomiting? Did he eat anything different yesterday? Is he dry heaving or straining to urinate or defecate? What kind of dog is he? How old?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Without further info....here are my thoughts. The dog may have a fever. You can check this using a human digital thermometer. Wet or lube it with Vaseline and insert gently into the rectum. If his temp is greater than 102 F then he needs to see a vet.If you think he is dry heaving or retching or bracing his abdomen (especially if he is a big dog) then YES this is an emergency as it could be a dilated or twisted stomach (GDV). He needs to see a vet immediately.If he just seems a bit lethargic you can watch him overnight, try to get him to eat some food in the morning. If he is refusing to eat, schedule an appointment with your regular vet.I hope this helps . Best of luck.