Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a senior Chi, just pulled from the shelter yesterday.

Customer Question

I have a senior Chi, just pulled from the shelter yesterday. Fine yesterday but noticed an occasional cough. Nonproductive. Lungs were clear upon auscultation. Tonight I noticed she was a bit depressed. Not bouncy like earlier today. (I was at school for 5 hrs) she is eating and drinking. She now has an occasional productive cough. Approx 2-3x/hr. Temp 103.1. Gums are pink. I'm suspecting a URI but w/ CIV running rampant here, I'm worried that we should make a trip to the ER instead of going to the vet first thing in the AM.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You do deserve the courtesy of a response. You're correct to be concerned about both infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") and influenza but at Hammie's age, cardiovascular disease needs to be considered as well. The proximity of her cough to having been in a shelter, however, should suggest infection.

Insist upon having Hammie's chest X-rayed. Influenza too often ends up in pneumonia and pneumonia isn't always auscultated. I've also learned not to assume that kennel cough is the culprit in geriatric dogs and so always X-rays these patients.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.