Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 2yr old golden lab (40-50lbs) ate maybe 3 corn cobs around

Customer Question

My 2yr old golden lab (40-50lbs) ate maybe 3 corn cobs around the size of a frozen juice can each. this was about 30 hours ago. he has vomited about 5 times and is not acting like himself. he has eaten and drank and although not severly he has some lethargy. he pooped but not as much as normal he also ingested a pair of baby socks today
What can I do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything besides taking him into the vet ( for surgery that I cant afford) that I can do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
This is quite a concerning situation. As I am sure you can appreciate, these corn cobs carry a serious risk of causing a GI blockage. If he has not had signs until this point, then we would be most concerned that they are currently causing your lad bother in the intestines (the portion of the gut with the smallest diameter and therefore the most likely place for these to catch). Therefore, we must tread with care.
In regards ***** ***** can be done at this stage, if he has no belly pain, has pink gums (not white/pale), and the vomiting isn't profuse (and he can keep some food down); then you can consider administering a GI lubricant at this stage. Examples of these are lactulose, Miralax, or food grade mineral oil. You can add a few milliliters of these into a light diet option (ie rice with boiled chicken, fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled egg) to just lubricate the gut and try to encourage this to pass.
Of course, if he cannot keep this down, then our hands will be tied and we'd want to have him seen by his vet. They can palpate his abdomen +/- xray to see where the cobs are. If they are low enough down the track, then they may be able to remove them via an enema or manually. But if they are caught too high, then surgery would be indicated.
Overall, this situation is a real worry for your lad, as obstruction is a concern at this stage. If he isn't vomiting all his food, you can try the above to try and encourage these to pass. But if he cannot, they are not passed within the next 12 hours, or he develops any other signs (ie restlessness, anorexia, belly pain, pale gums, straining to pass feces or black stools) then we'd need to have him seen urgently so that the blockages can be removed.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. I have prescription strength miralax would I mix it as prescribed only in food? should I take him to the vet ? when he passes the cobs would they look like cobs in his stool or vomit?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
After this amount of time, they will likely be far enough in the gut that we would only see them passed in the stool. The cobs will likely look the same unless he chewed them first.
So you can use the miralax in food only (1-2 ml per 24 hours) at this point. But if he doesn't pass them with this aid or shows those red flag signs, then we would want him to see his vet. And if costs are an issue, they may be able to offer a payment plan, care credit, or help you to get assistance from your local humane society or pet charities to help your lad overcome this serious situation.
Please take care,
Dr. B