Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 9 mo old mini shnauzer vomited p alot of phlem a week

Customer Question

HI, my 9 mo old mini shnauzer vomited p alot of phlem a week ago sunday. He seemed ok, so continued to feed him normal did it again on tues. We had changed his food, because the store was out of his usual puppy food. But i am almost positive we gave it to him after sunday. well, he threw up again nother time or two throughout the week. Then this sunday he pooed in his crate before he got up, he has never done that before, again, phlemy, so we took away the new food and i just gave him some meat, I was going to get him his old food today, but i got sick, and my husband forgot to get it for him on his way home, so i fed him some meat again. His bathroom has seemed fine. tonight he seemed a little subdued, but not awful, then he just wet out of the blue without telling me he needed to go out, not like him. How worried should i be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Schnauzer. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get help sooner. Do you still want help with him? How is he today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 5 in the morning here. Everyone is still sleeping
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you want any help from me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed up for a text when I got an answer. Honestly the way the whole thing was put yo me last night, was that an expert was already online waiting to help me, which wasn't the case at all. And you must be east coast, not west. I'm not sure this service is what thought I try was
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I am now awake, with what I said in my original question, should I be worried? Or do you think it seems food related. What can cause phlemy vomit? And his inability to hold his bathroom as normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess now your not there anymore, great. I am going back to sleep.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I am in the West, too, just an early riser.
I answer questions for the website, online. I don't know what arrangements you made with the website. I just saw your question, and tried to help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, still awake. So do you have a response to my question?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I will do my best to help.
Vomiting can be caused by dozens of things: infections, parasites, food sensitivity, eating something they shouldn't (especially puppies). Schnauzers as a breed are prone to pancreatitis, but he is a little young to have that.
The mucus you saw in his may indicate an infection moving through, first making him vomit then getting to his colon and causing him to have the accident in his crate.
Urinating without warning can be a sign of a bladder infection.
If his gums look pink, if he does not have a fever (normal rectal temp is between 101 and 102), if he will eat, I am not too worried about him, but would keep monitoring and maybe feeding a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice for a day or so before getting him back on his puppy food.
If the mucus continues in his stool, I would have a sample checked for parasites.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** a really great answer. What is pancreatitis? Sorry about my original responses. I am sick and haven't slept much last night, but had just fallen asleep. Not your fault, I should never speak until I am fully awake.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea, loss of appetite, and abdominal pain. It is pretty uncommon in dogs less than 2 to 3 years old, but this breed tends to get it more easily than others.
Sorry you are sick; seems to be a lot of that going around here, too.
I would try the bland diet, and monitor him for now.
Hope you are better soon. Let me know what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. Also he is a chewer, he chews up anything he can find. If he accidentally swallowed something foreign, would it cone out in his stool? I am constantly taking strange things out of his mouth, and last week he got to an eraser my son left in his reach, and I also found him with a pile of string he managed to steal from me unawares, I don't believe he swallowed any string, just made a big mess it. I hope
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
If he chewed and swallowed something (puppy!) that could cause a mild digestive upset.
Most things puppies chew and swallow do pass in the stool, but they sometimes swallow things that get stuck. If that happens, they stop eating, and vomit a lot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well he hasn't quit eating. I seems like he is starving. I made him some sweet potato, unsweetened applesauce and cooked chicken last night, with a little vinegar for his stomach, and he licked it until I thought he was going to lick a whole in the bowl.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It is always a good sign if he is eating! I doubt he has an intestinal blockage from your description.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh good ūüėä thank you, ***** ***** enjoyed talking with you this morning. You have put my mind at ease. Sorry about my original curtness:/
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Entirely understandable. Let me know if I can help with anything else, and let me know how he is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer if all your questions are answered. You will still be able to ask another question, or to update me on his condition.
Hope you are better soon.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How are you and your Schnauzer today?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?