Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has epilepsy and the vet has put her on pheno barb but

Customer Question

My dog has epilepsy and the vet has put her on pheno barb but the siezures seem to be getting heavier and more frequent. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
How long ago was the phenobarbital started?
Was bloodwork done before the phenobarb started?
Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'll follow up for Dr. Dan for you. Please tell me how much Angie weighs and what dose of phenobarbital she has been receiving. How often are Angie's seizures currently?
I'll be traveling all day tomorrow and because you need help promptly, I'll opt out which will give other vets a chance to follow up for me.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
There are a couple steps that need to be taken.
1. Get blood Phenobarb levels. The therapeutic range is usually ~ 15-40. I like them to be in the upper 20's or 30's. This is usually the sweet spot. If the levels come back < 25, I'd increase the Phenobarb dose.
2. If the Phenobarb levels are where they need to be, then it's time to add another anti-seizure medication. I usually go with Zonisamide, as I can give it twice daily. Keppra is the other option, but it has to be given every 8 hours.
3. I would have some Valium (Diazepam) in syringes that you can give rectally at home for when she has seizures. Your vet should be able to send these with you.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.