Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My dog Duke just turned 7 and when he was 3 he was spaded and

Customer Question

my dog Duke just turned 7 and when he was 3 he was spaded and the doctor stated that he had a heart murmur but he was fine now he makes a snorting sound when he is excited or anxious it happens maybe once a day. I left him for a week and it seems more right now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is about 28-32 pounds
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Emily and I would like to assist with your question. Does your dog have any nasal discharge or sneezing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just sneezing on and off but his nose is dry
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I'd like you to take a look at this video if possible. This is an example of a "reverse sneeze." This is a sound dogs make that can sound like a cough but is actually there soft palate overlapping with their epiglottis in the back of the throat, causing them to have trouble breathing. If the dog swallows/drinks water, this helps correct the problem. This reverse sneeze starts due to the confirmation of their throat structures but can be aggravated by cold weather, drinking or eating too fast, anxiety or excitement. It can also worsen with a mild infection in the throat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XkLqa9XK9k
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Another common cause of a sound that resembles snorting in dogs is collapsing trachea. The trachea is a flexible tube and, similar to a vacuum cleaner hose. It has small rings of cartilage that help keep the airway open when the dog is breathing, moving or coughing. The rings of cartilage are C-shaped, with the open part of the C facing upward. In some dogs, the C-shaped cartilage becomes weak and begins to flatten out. As the roof of the trachea stretches, the cartilage rings get flatter and flatter until the trachea collapses. The collapse can extend all the way into the bronchi (the tubes that feed air into the lungs), resulting in severe airway compromise in your pet. Small breed dogs are most commonly affected with the disease, particularly Yorkshire terriers, Pomeranians, Poodles and Chihuahuas. Affected dogs are often middle aged or older, though it can be seen in some young dogs as well. Dogs that are overweight or that live in a household with smokers may be more at risk or at least more likely to show clinical signs. Chest x-rays may help with the diagnosis in some pets, and are useful for ruling out other conditions and looking at the size of the heart. Tracheal collapse is not always visible on regular x-rays. Some dogs may require heavy doses of sedation to break the coughing cycle, since coughing will irritate the airway and lead to more coughing. Additionally, dogs should be kept away from smoke and other environmental pollution (coughing may be even stimulated by smoke or other irritants brought in on clothing and hair). Dogs with infections are treated with antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any questions about the information I provided?