Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

5 month old, 45 lb. Lab ate 28 cough drops. Ingredients: 65mg.

Customer Question

5 month old, 45 lb. Lab ate 28 cough drops. Ingredients: 65mg. Glycerin per drop. Other ingredients. gum acacia, sugar,corn syrup, citric acid sunflower oil, elderberry concentrate color, camauba wax
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Oh Rees!
Now the good news is that these are not cough drops that contain anything toxic. The only concern is that he has had quite a lot of sugar in one ingestion and that could cause GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea), weakness, dehydration, and possible electrolyte imbalances.
Therefore, if he has just had these in the past 2 hours, then it'd be best to induce vomiting. This will just get some of those drops out of his system and reduce any risk for him. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.
Afterwards, since we can see GI upset, you can offset that by offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.
Further to this, we can also cover him with an antacid to keep his stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg) or
* Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, there is nothing toxic in these drops but it is a lot of sugar and sugar filled ingredients in the drops. Therefore, I would advise the above for your lad and close monitoring. If you do see any weakness, dehydration, or extreme lethargy; then we'd want to consider a check with his vet +/- IV fluids to make sure he doesn't become dehydrated nor suffer any issues with imbalance of his body's electrolytes.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )