Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 15 yr old shar pei seem to be having trouble breathing

Customer Question

Hi my 15 yr old shar pei seem to be having trouble breathing at night. He's been to vet and they say his lungs and heart are good. But it has been happening more and more lately
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Butch. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
What kind of breathing trouble is he having? Does he cough a lot at night? Is he not able to sleep because he can't breathe? Does he have to pant to breathe, have his mouth open, or can he breathe through his nose?
There are many reasons for breathing trouble; some not at all serious (snoring, nasal congestion making noisy breathing) and some serious (heart or lung disease). It will help to know what you mean by "trouble breathing", if he has to open his mouth to get enough air, if his sides have to move really hard to get air in and out. If you look at his gums, do they look pink, or pale?
I will be online for a couple more hours, and then back later today.