Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 49-lbs pound dog that is taking Temaril-P .

Customer Question

I have a 49-lbs pound dog that is taking Temaril-P for otitis. She is starting to taper, but her ear symptoms are not going away. I have given her benedryl in the past, and that has helped. I just want to confirm that I can do that.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if she is panting and uncomfortable, it is possible that this is due to her underlying ear issue still causing her bother. (Or it is possible to see panting related to the steroid in the Temaril). In either case, in regards ***** ***** question, you can certainly use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) for Chasqui.

In these cases, we tend to to give a low dose of 0.5-2 mg per pound of her body weight twice daily. We like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your lass has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication you did not mention already without speaking to your vet. Therefore, if this has helped her sore ears in the past, you can certainly use it now.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )