Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

6 mo old shihtzu ate insulation 3 days ago. loose stool and

Customer Question

6 mo old shihtzu ate insulation 3 days ago. loose stool and vomited twice this morning. what should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Hopefully your guy has a mild digestive disorder and this is treated as follows:Fast for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1) with a teaspoon of Metamucil which may push the insulation through.If the vomiting has resolved, then wean your baby back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your dog to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction.. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****