Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My almost 14 year old dog has be loosing weight, her stomach

Customer Question

My almost 14 year old dog has be loosing weight, her stomach is making very loud gurgling noises and recently has not wanted to eat. When she does eat it tends to go right thru her. Her thirst has decreased as of this last evening. What could be wrong?
She does have trouble with her hind legs and can't get up at times.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Prior to last night was she drinking more than usual?
2- Is she on any medications?
3- When you say the food goes right thru her you mean she develops diarrhea, correct? If so, how long has this been going on?
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes she would want to drink all the time.
2. Yes, something for a bladder infection. She would starting peeing in the house frequently and it woul have a very strong bad odor. I can't remember the name of the drug from the vet.
3. Her stool has turned to more of a diarrhea now, but before it was more just soft compared to usual.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Was she seen by a veterinarian when she was drinking more than usual? If so, did they do any testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was and was given some meds. I'm sorry I can't remember what the meds. We.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking maybe her sodium level was high. Not quite sure. This all started last fall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Otherwise at that time all other tests were normal.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, there are several possible causes with the history you describe about Abby's symptoms. My first and main concern was the Abby was drinking more than usual. You see, when a dog drinks more than usual it is a sign of an underlying medical problem. Common causes are: Diabetes, kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. All of these diseases will cause the patient to drink more and loose weight. Diarrhea can be caused by all of these diseases as well. Then, we have the back leg problem which may be related to arthritis. In addition, the weakness that is often seen with any of the above mentioned diseases.
Right now Abby has stopped drinking, that is another concern because it suggest that if she has any of the above mentioned diseases her system could be shutting down; this could be fatal if she is not seen by a veterinarian quickly. Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home for Abby. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian today for supportive care (IV fluids, etc.). While vet is providing supportive care they will run some testing to determine which of the above is the underlying cause. Additional treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. Highly recommend having her checked today by ER veterinarian.
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lori Dolesy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Abby. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter