Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My border collie is having terrible fear of major thunderstorms,

Customer Question

My border collie is having terrible fear of major thunderstorms, one of which is occurring right now and storms are expected through tomorrow. Her vet prescribed Acepromazine, which sedates her for a few hours only. She's awake again and miserable. She weighs 40 pounds and is a healthy border collie mix. The prescribed dosage is one and one half 25 mg tablets. How long must I wait before giving her another dose? Is it safe to give e her doses at regular intervals over the next 24 hours or so?
Thank you so much. She is really suffering.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.Sorry to hear Ella is anxious, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. The usual oral dose of acepromazine is between 0.5 to 1.5 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight, for a 40 pound dog this works out as a maximum dose of 60 mg, that said you are better to try lower doses first and then work up if necessary. You can confirm this and read more about how this drug is used in dogs HERE 2. You can safely give acepromazine every 8 hours. I would generally give it an hour before a stressful event. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If the maximum dose for her size is 60 mg and I gave her about 37 mg four hours ago, is it safe for me to give her an additional half of a 25 mg pill now, or must I wait until a full eight hours have passed since the initial dose?
Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further ... 1. As long as you do not exceed 60 mg in any eight hour period then things should be fine, however it can become confusing with staggered doses so it may be best to wait until eight hours after the initial dose and then step things up gradually. 2. I did find the odd dog which did not do so well on Acepromazine as it more a sedative than a tranquilliser, you may perhaps want to talk to your vet about the likes of Prozac. I am quite a fan of Melatonin which is a very safe and wholesome over the counter sort of drug and I have known it help in just these sorts of situations. More info HERE Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Ella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Acepromazine doses.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.