Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 2 year old daschund passed away suddenly in her sleep.

Customer Question

My 2 year old daschund passed away suddenly in her sleep. She did vomit a couple of times in the week before and also had diarrhea. Took her to the vet on a Monday, did blood work and X-ray. Everything looked fine. Her white blood cells were a little up. Doctor thought she just had an infection, so prescribed antibiotics and anti- vomit medicine. Wednesday, he went ahead and prescribed a steroid to give with the others. Wednesday night she was starting to act like her old self again, eating, drinking. The next morning, I was awakened by her cry in my bed. By the time I picked her up, she was limp and not breathing. She was gone.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. My condolences for your loss. History of nondescript gastrointestinal symptoms which improved when a corticosteroid was administered but followed by a "crash" and loss of life is strongly suggestive of Addison's disease - hypoadrenocorticism - an endocrine (hormonal) disorder of the adrenal glands. This disorder is suggested by an alteration in the serum sodium and potassium levels and a lack of a "stress" response in the complete blood count. There are other more subtle abnormalities in the blood profile. I would be pleased to review her blood test results for you if you wish.
Alternatively, I would consider that an intussusception occurred - a rolling up of one segment of the GI tract into an adjacent segment - or perhaps she suffered a perforation of her GI tract due to a foreign body.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The emergency vet and her vet both thought it could be a blood clot
Thrombosis (a "blood clot") invariably occurs secondary to another disorder. It's that disorder that you're questioning about. My conjecturing is still valid but difficult to prove without a necropsy.
I'm sorry for the delay. I've been on the road all day. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I give you her blood test results?

You can photograph the pages and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box or by using an external app such as imgur.com or you can scan the pages into your computer and then give me the link to the file. If you have a problem doing either, please contact***@******.*** who will help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! Was your doxi 2 years old as you posted or 20 years old as stated on her blood work? If 20 years old, that's an amazingly healthy-looking set of test results. Her white blood cell count is moderately elevated which indicates inflammation - not necessarily the inflammation associated with infection, and her thyroid level is quite low but that can occur due to non-thyroid disorders rather than the thyroid gland itself being "sick".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, I saw that too. She just turned 2 on April 27th.
That makes it even more difficult to make sense of her death. A blood clot at that age is exceedingly rare. Atypical Addison's still remains on my differential diagnosis list because of her GI symptoms and apparent response to steroids and primary GI disorders such as intussusception and perforation of her bowel are important rule-outs as well.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Hi Renee,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?