Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

How do I know if my dog broke a rib? His tail is down, he wont

Customer Question

How do I know if my dog broke a rib? His tail is down, he wont jump on the bed, couch, upstairs or into the car to get to the vet. He is eating fine. He screeched when we tried to help him into the car, that's why we are thinking rib fracture.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He can walk downstairs fine, but not upstairs and whines when getting up from laying on the floor. Need to control pain.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
I think you are close to the cause but it is unlikely to be a rib fracture. A fractured rib would have a significant area of swelling over the fracture area and there is significant trauma needed to accomplish this. I suspect your poor pooch is suffering from back pain. Back pain can show up in many different ways. Most dogs who have back pain will pant, shiver, be reluctant to move, can yelp when touched almost anywhere (but this won't always happen) and sometimes will have a tense abdomen. Dogs affected with back pain may not even choose to get up to eat or drink. This is very common in smaller dogs dachsunds and beagles. What you need to do is allow Grunt to lie still if he wants to and bring his food and water close. Carry him in and out to go to the bathroom but pick him up by putting your arms in front of his front legs and behind his back legs (avoid the abdomen). Please refrain from giving any over the counter human pain medications as most are not safe for dogs and will limit the type of medications your vet can use later. When your vet can be contacted make sure to see him or her right away. If Grunt stops being able to use his back legs this is now a serious emergency and the veterinarian needs to be contacted immediately. For more information on this condition please see this website: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2373
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to disagree. I can touch him anywhere but his abdomen. He can walk fine, he is happy to eat, he licks me, but the sensitivity near his ribs is very great. We can massage back, his legs, tail, etc., just can touch underneath.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'll opt out and see if someone else can help you.