Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

He does not seem to be bothered by the white film. No itching,

Customer Question

He does not seem to be bothered by the white film. No itching, rubbing or apparent pain so you may be right about the fat deposit. However, why would my vets require drops and pills if it is only harmless fat. they have assured me it is NOT pannus but say it is an immune disease...and want me to give him stronger Cyclospoirine and Prednisone which CAN affect his immune system. ??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Good questions...
"1. However, why would my vets require drops and pills if it is only harmless fat." The vets who have examined him obviously do not think it is only harmless fat. As you've said, they think it is an autoimmune disease. That' why they are prescribing these other medications. I'd be inclined to trust them because they've had the opportunity to examine him and make a diagnosis.
"2. Can these medications affect his immune system?" Yes. But I think it's safe to assume the doctors who have prescribed these medications feel the benefits outweigh the risks because he needs the medication to fix his eye problem.
If you are worried they have misdiagnosed your dog, then by all means get a second opinion from an ophthalmologist. Then you'll be able to have much more confidence in the treatment that's been prescribed.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'll add a third question to the list...
3. Is it possible the veterinarians who have examined him and done the necessary diagnostic testing are wrong?
Absolutely, yes. I am so sorry, but veterinarians do sometimes makes mistakes. It could be they don't have a lot of experience with eye issues, or any one of a number of things.
That's why second opinions are so valuable.
Please do keep in mind that *I* cannot offer a second opinion without seeing him for myself. I can offer you a lot of information, including discussing what commonly causes white deposits on the eye, but I cannot diagnose anyone's animal without a hands-on physical examination.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Also, please do be sure to take a moment to accept my responses to your questions and rate my replies. Without that, I receive no credit for helping you.
I really do want to be as helpful as possible.
I understand you are worried about proceeding with these medications and don't seem to have faith in your vet. That's an awful situation to be in. I know if you were my client and felt that way, I'd want you to tell me so I could reassure you, explain things, and/or help you get a second opinion so we could both be sure we were doing the right thing.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask how your dog is doing.
Have you decided if you're going to pursue a second opinion?
I know if your dog were my patient, I would not be at all offended if you printed out the article on lipid deposits I gave you the link to above and you brought it to me and asked, "What about this?"
Please let me know how else I may help.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just a final check to ask what else I can help you with so you will be satisfied with the information I've provided.
I want to be as helpful as possible.
Please do remember to take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response if you wish to be removed my active list.
Thank you.