Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

I'm looking opthamologist vet dog. A white film

Customer Question

I'm looking for an opthamologist vet for my dog. A white film began as a tiny spot almost three months ago. It is now large over half his eye. He has been on Cyclosporin eyedrops and then prednisone pills. Two vets have seen him and I am assured it is NOT Pannus.
Now my eye Dr. is giving me a stronger prescription for Cyclosporine and Prednisone
Acetate. they both say this is NOT Pannus. However, they don't know what it is and I am
worried that these drugs may affect his immune system...leaving him open for other
problems. He is 4 years old, a lab mix.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about finding an ophthalmologist for your dog. I'm so sorry he is having this problem. It can be so frustrating when the you're doing everything your vet tells you to do and your dog continues to get worse. I'm glad you're looking for other options.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
I've got two initial thoughts after reviewing what you've written...
1. Some middle aged dogs will acquire milky white opacities on their corneas as a result of lipid (fat) deposits. These don't cause any irritation at all and are harmless. They just interfere with vision like looking through dirty glass.
2. Helping you find an ophthalmologist for a second opinion is easy. Most states have a board-certified ophthalmologist who will travel across the state seeing patients at different clinics. If that's not available, you can find one at your closest vet school. Please tell me your location and I will help you find the ophthalmologist closest to you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to a page that describes what can happen when the lipid deposits on the cornea are severe...
http://www.aecwilton.com/too-much-white-stuff/
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I see you've now gone offline. I'm sorry I missed the chance to continue having a live discussion with you.
Please rest assured I am here to help.
You may still reply when you return online. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss this with you until you are satisfied with the information I've provided.
You may return to this page at any time to review the information and/or post more. I will be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help.
If you are satisfied with the information I've provided so far, I'll kindly ask you to rate my response on your way out of the chat, as this is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
If you are not, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to ask if you need any assistance with how to accept my answer and rate my response.
Oh! And I almost forgot... here is a link you can use to locate an ophthalmologist near you.
http://acvo.org/new/public/locate.shtml
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just a final check to ask what else I can help you with so you will be satisfied with the information I've provided.
I want to be as helpful as possible.
Please do remember to take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response if you wish to be removed my active list.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Jo