Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

My male dog is almost 10 and usually energtiic when we get

Customer Question

My male dog is almost 10 and usually energtiic when we get home. Yesterday he was drooling excessively, back hind quarter stiff so barely able to stand, shaking, can't use restroom, and won't eat or drink.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just lays around. Breathing is heavy and fast when he keeps head up but shallow and slow when he lays head down.
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. I'm sorry that Buster is ill. To be honest what you are saying is alarming me. If he is trying to pee and not managing it then this is a genuine emergency. If he is blocked (so something is physically blocking his ability to urinate (for example a bladder stone in his penis) then he needs an urgent anaesthetic to be physically unblocked by a vets. I am afraid it sounds like he is seriously ill. If he cannot urinate the urine backs up and can damage his kidneys and you also get an overload of potassium in the system which can affect his heart and breathing, and cause the shaking you describe. Left untreated this is fatal.
I'm sorry to say this but you need to get him to a vets, now. If your vet isn't open get him to an emergency vets. This is one of those conditions that just can't wait. Good luck, and take care, Rosie.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has been able to urinate just not the other. His penis area is bleeding slightly and appears swollen.
Thank you for the clarification there! It is reassuring that he can urinate. Has he been castrated?
I need to go offline so I will opt out so somebody else can help you.