Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Dr. Jo, We talked yesterday about my dog Olivia. Swollen

Customer Question

Dr. Jo, We talked yesterday about my dog Olivia. Swollen elbow and front leg. Edema on chest....Her very swollen elbow now has a large blood blister on it and she is in a lot of pain. No doctor here until Monday. Daryl
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Daryl.
I'm so sorry to hear she is doing worse. I know you must be very worried about her. Please do your best to do the following:
-Keep her activity restricted essentially to bed rest with only short trips outside on a leash to go to the bathroom.
- Keep food and water close by so she can eat and drink with ease
- Make sure her bed is well-padded and warm so she doesn't have to rest her painful limb on anything hard.
- Give all prescribed medications exactly as directed.
-Avoid the temptation to lance or drain the blood blister. This could make things worse.
-If it appears to provide some comfort or pain relief, you may pad or gently wrap the blood blister. Make sure it is not tight.
-You may try a using a cold compress on any of the swollen tissue. Don't push the issue if Olivia fights it, but she may find it provides good pain relief.
I don't feel comfortable having you wait until Monday to have Olivia seen by a veterinarian. I'm sure she'd like some relief sooner as well. You will need to travel to your closest emergency or on-call veterinarian. Most places in the US have access to 24-hour veterinary care within a 3 or***** This is what Olivia will need for you to do.
If you would like to let me know your location, I can help you find the closest emergency center so you can get Olivia the care she needs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The closest clinic is a 2 hour hot ferry ride in a crate with me in another compartment. Then a one hour drive.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry you're in this difficult situation. Unfortunately, she really needs medical care. I've described the best home care/first aid you can give her. If she were my dog I'd be heading for the ferry and would do my best to keep her comfortable along the way.
I am being completely honest with you, and I'm so sorry for your difficult situation. There really are no other options. She is seriously ill and needs medical care as soon as possible, even if it isn't easy to come by.
Please remind me what medications you have for her already at home so you can do your best to make her comfortable for the journey.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in on you and Olive. I've been worried about you all day.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I can see that you're logging in and reviewing my replies, but not answering my questions. Please simply type in what you want to say then click REPLY so I can help you.
If you need assistance with using the website, you may click to contact customer service.
I want to be as helpful as possible as I know you're going through a difficult situation.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just a final check to ask how Olivia is doing. I've been worried about you and everything you both have been going through.
Please do take a moment to send an update when you can.
Please also do take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Olivia. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo