VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My dog was eating grass and i thought he was choking, but

Customer Question

Hi my dog was eating grass and i thought he was choking, but he never spit up and now he is breathing funny and keeps clearing his throat and just wants to ly down - I thought maybe allergies outside affected him, can I give him Benadryl-D and how much of a dose? I thought his throat was closing up a bit. I realize this may not be the problem, would it hurt if I gave him and he didnt need it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 2 years ago.
Plain Benadryl can be given to dogs at a dose of 1 mg per pound to help with allergies, but Benadryl-D should not be given, as it contains pseudoephederine, which is toxic to dogs.
Sometimes they can get grass stuck in their throats, and that can cause them to try and dislodge it by "coughing". But if it seems like he is truly having difficulty breathing, it would be safest to get him into a local vet clinic for treatment. While plain Benadryl can help with reactions due to allergies, given orally it takes a while to kick in, and a fast-acting injection at the vet will help him breathe easier, faster.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Chubba James. How is everything going?
Doveh