Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog got his teeth caught in my other dogs collar and once I got them a part the dog who

Customer Question

My dog got his teeth caught in my other dogs collar and once I got them a part the dog who had the collar on his eyes are blood red. He seems fine but im worried.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
The collar occluded blood flow from his head back to his heart. The local blood pressure in his eyes rose to the point of distending and possibly rupturing blood vessels in the sclera (whites) of his eyes. In most cases, this is harmless and the red you're seeing will disappear within an hour. If it persists, instead, it would be prudent to have his eyes checked by his vet who is likely to prescribe an ophthalmic corticosteroid preparation in an attempt to reduce the inflammation quicker.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.