Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Any issues or concerns with euthanizing an older poodle due

Customer Question

Any issues or concerns with euthanizing an older poodle due to loss of bowel movements?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Rudy. I'm so sorry you're in this difficult situation, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
Please rest assured that I understand what difficult decision making process you must have gone through to arrive at this point. It must be a heartbreaking time for you.
Please also rest assured that a good veterinarian will not judge you and will provide this much-needed service in a compassionate and professional manner. If you were my client, the answer is a resounding NO, I would not have a problem with euthanizing your 13-year-old poodle due to fecal incontinence, if that's what you're ready to do.
That being said, there are as many opinions out there as there are veterinarians. It's worth mentioning that there may be a medical problem causing this (not just old age) that could be solved and allow you to enjoy more time with Rudy. That's a discussion you might expect to have.
Additionally, I know there are some vets out there who would encourage other options to euthanasia.
The bot***** *****ne is that you may end up talking to more than one veterinarian before you decide what you want to do, BUT in the end the decision is entirely yours. Rudy is your dog and you are the one standing to lose him after so many years of loving him. You are the one who will be experiencing the grief of his loss.
Rest assured euthanasia is a humane and compassionate gift from his point of view. It doesn't hurt.
Vets receive calls regarding situations like this all the time. Please don't feel awkward about picking up the phone and starting this difficult conversation. We're here to help. And - if you do feel you are being judged or treated unprofessionally - please exercise your right to call someone else.
I hope this information helps. I feel for you and the difficult situation you're in.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just checking in to see if you have any additional questions after reviewing the information I provided above. I know this can be a difficult situation to discuss and I want to be sure I came across as intended.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Just a final check to ask if there is anything else I can help you with. I know this is an extraordinarily difficult situation and it can help to have someone to talk to.
Please do take a moment to send an update when you can. I've been worried.
Please also do take a moment to accept my answer and rate my response so I may receive credit for helping you.
Thank you.