Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 10 year old female golden retriever has itchy ears.

Customer Question

Our 10 year old female golden retriever has itchy ears. Now her face is moderately puffy, including esp her left eye being 1/2 swollen shut. There is a litle redness of the skin around her eyes. She is drinking alot, very thirsty. She does rub her eyes on the carpet, but this has gone on off and on for years. She had rabies shot and distemper at our vet 6 days ago. We put a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream in her ears on the smooth part, 5 hours ago. Is she having a reaction to the hydrocortisone? It that a no-no for dogs? She is panting faster, not quite twice the normal rate. I cleaned her ears out with soap and water, to get the hydrocort cream off. What do you think is going on? Does she need treatment before 9am tomorrow at the emergency vet clinic here in Nashville?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Are her gums nice and pink, not pale/white?
Has she had access to any other medications or allergens (ie insect bites, chemicals, laundry soaps, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are at the emergency vet clinic. The wait was too long.