Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog just ate my EOS chapstick and I was worried about

Customer Question

HI. My dog just ate my EOS chapstick and I was worried about him.
wondering if I need to call the emergency vet
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. Please confirm that your dog ate the contents only and not the plastic housing?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To answer your question, yes he only ate the contents and not the plastic case.

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. It is good it was the contents only, The EOS Lip Balm doesn't contain anything particularly toxic to dogs as such, but you may see a bout of minor vomiting or diarrhoea because this substance is unfamiliar to your dog's gastrointestinal tract. As long as you are not seeing any odd symptoms at present then there is not need to call an ER vet, it will be reasonably safe just to observe Milton. 2. If minor gastroenteritis does set in then some owners would try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and would often works in this sort of situation. The basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days. 3. Of course if symptoms do set in and any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Milton then deteriorates further in any way then you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.