Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a chihuahua/terrier mix 3 years old Hes having short

Customer Question

I have a chihuahua/terrier mix 3 years old Hes having short breaths, really lethargic won't drink gums are turning pale and sticky
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so very sorry to hear that Jax is having these issues
When a dogs gums are pale that is an indication of one of two things: shock or anemia or both
1.) Shock can be related to ingesting something, viral causes, organ function changes, trauma
2.) Anemia can be due to
- loss due to trauma, hemorrhage into the abdomen, chest, gi tract or even parasites
- reduced production which is a bone marrow issue
- increased destruction which is viral, immune mediated (the body is destroying its own cells) or bacterial to name a few
When the gums are pale and a pet is anemic or in shock that means that the body is not getting proper oxygen to the organs and time is of the essence. This is a true emergency and requires bloodwork to evaluate the level of anemia and if transfusions are necessary to stop the progression of the anemia which can cause organ function failure and death
The stickiness of the gums also is concerning because it indicates dehydration and the need for fluid replacement
Do you have a veterinary er in your area? This is not something that should wait until the morning. If not, then contacting your regular vet phone number and often they will list what to do in case of emergency on the voice mail
I don't mean to frighten you but I do advise a veterinary er tonight. This is not something that can be or should be attempted to be treated at home
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses last night. What did you decide to do last night? Is Jax doing alright? I would love an update when you are able.
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jax. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman