Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My three year old dog has just been diagnosed with nodular

Customer Question

My three year old dog has just been diagnosed with nodular fasciitis. My vet has never dealt with another case and from research she did, she is treating it with steroids by shot directly into the lump. Is this an accepted treatment for this condition?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How many of these skin lumps does your dog have?You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has one large lump on the right side of his neck.
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Nodular fasciitis is a fairly rare condition in the dog, I personally have only seen a very few over a twenty five year period. But the good news is that it is regarded as a benign condition in so much as it will not usually spread through the body from the origin site, but such lesions will keep growing. Definitive diagnosis would be by biopsy. 2. While injecting steroids into the lump may reduce it in size this procedure is not likely to be curative but may be useful to reduce the mass prior to surgery. Wide margin surgical excision would usually be the best treatment and if this is successfully carried out the lesion will be unlikely to recur. 3. You can research the topic more at this site : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your response. It is encouraging because until today's diagnosis, I was sure I would lose him.Cathy
Hello again Cathy, Very pleased to talk things over with you further ... It is unlikely that you will lose a dog with this condition but you will have to work out what the best management plan is, it it can all be cut away then that could well be the end of the matter... Regards, ***** *****
Hi Cathy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jake. How is everything going?