Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is almost 16 and almost deaf. I noticed tonight

Customer Question

Hello. My dog is almost 16 and almost deaf. I noticed tonight he howled a few times with me right in the room with him. Usually he only does this when I leave. I am a little worried about him. I was just wondering why he might have done it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am sorry to hear your friend George began howling tonight with you in the room. If he is otherwise acting normal for his age my primary concern would be the beginning of some cognitive issues that are common with his age
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/keeping-your-dog-healthy/senior-dog-care/cognitive-dysfunction-in-elderly-dogs
Dogs with this condition can pace, bark, howl, circle and do other things out of their nature at various times of the day and night. Other possibilities include a relationship to pain or confusion not related to the cognitive changes...
If you note that he is doing it more frequently it would be worthwhile considering some supplements for him to minimize progression:
1.) Fish oil 1000 mg EPA & DHA daily which is great for the brain
2.) Melatonin if you note he is doing any of the other signs I mentioned and confusing day and night with his sleep patterns
3.) Medications and/ or supplements that will be from your veterinarian to maintain brain power and cognitive function such as proneurozone and/ or anipryl
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I hope you were able to view my responses last night. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance of you both...
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!