Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed with Diabetes very recently. My vet would

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed with Diabetes very recently. My vet would like me to get a blood sugar 3 times a day. I have a meter, but I haven't used it on a dog.Where do I get the blood from? My vet said they could show me for another $70 bucks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I am glad to hear that you are keen to monitor Jester's blood glucose at home. I always find that blood glucose curves done in the comfort of home (away from the stress of being at the vets, having to stay in a kennel, other dogs barking, etc) yield better results.
In regards ***** ***** and where to take a blood glucose, there are a number of sites you can use. Common ones are the upper lip, carpal pad (just behind his wrist), tail base, or the callous many dogs have at the elbow. Finally, since a picture is worth a thousand words, I do want to refer you to some very good videos on how to take a blood glucose at these various sites. They will help you to see how to do it and how well dogs tolerate this. It will be a case of trial and error to see what works best for you and Jester but this will give you a good start. You can find these videos @ http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Valerie Keeler,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jester. How is everything going?

nekovet