How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 24379
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My rabbit recently had an ennoculation of the eye due to a

Customer Question

My rabbit recently had an ennoculation of the eye due to a ruptured eye that became infected (two weeks ago this thursday). Last week I returned to the vet with concerns of drainage and swelling. I was assured this was normal and sent home. Tonight, The incision "popped" and cottage cheese like puss flooded out. I am upset about this because I saw the signs a week ago and my vet did nothing.
My question is, what is the legal and ethical obligations going forward of the vet office with my rabbits care? Should/can I ask for a refund, or should the vet cover the cost of treating the infection since he did not take my concerns seriously when i was last at the vet office? Should I seek a second vet in this situation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me clarify this. I will be seeking treatment for the rabbit either way, He is my baby and I will do whatever i can for him. My question is, at what point do I stop trusting this vet and find secondary options. I just maxed my care credit card, and bank account trying to fight this infection and when I saw the signs last week. the vets actual answer to me (and I have it on paper) Is that drainage and swelling was normal and he was happy with how it looks. Not even a week later, its burst and drain a major amount of puss, (thick white cottage cheese). My financial situation after being close to 1000 into his medical bills is disheartening because it seems like this vet truely didnt care to do a thorough check on the incision when I brought him in. ( he was seen for less than 10 minutes by the vet who did the surgery and sent home, to come back in a week.) What should my next steps be with handling this vet and moving forward for my rabbits best interest?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. To answer your legal question first, your first recourse is to consult with the surgeon and see if he/she is amenable to compensating you. If you're not satisfied, consulting with peer review of the local veterinary association to which the vet belongs is your next step. If you're still not satisfied, your state's board of veterinary examiners has a complaint process for you to follow.
To answer your veterinary question, it's essential that the surgical site be bacterially cultured and a sensitivity performed to see which antibiotic would be best to prescribe. You're correct in that surgical debridement of the surgical site will be necessary before any antibiotic can be fully effective. My fear is that the common Pasteurella multocida of rabbits is present and this can be very difficult to eradicate. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) dosed at 2.5 mg/lb every 12 hours for 14 days or ciprofloxacin dosed at 10 mg/lb daily orally for 5 days has been effective.