Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Type your Veterinary question here5 month old chihuahua/rat terrior ov

Customer Question

Type your Veterinary question here
5 month old chihuahua/rat terrior over night developed a growth under his jaw on his neck
Submitted: 1 year ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Is the swelling firm, soft, fluidy, or warm?

Did he have any trauma to the skin under his neck, head, or jaw before this appeared?
Has he been chewing on anything hard?
Any access to stinging insects?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web address here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it just showed up this morning. it seems to be a hard mass most likely oval shaped about 1/2 in's in length. located right below his right jaw on his neck. i can touch it it kind of moves around in about a 1 in area. doesn't seem to cause any pain. he does get into everything so he could of chewed on anything. he has a brother and a sister the same age. they all like to play fight with each other. sometimes two will gang up on one. usually the two boys gang up on the girl but most of the time she wins. she is very smart and faster than the boys. she is much smaller but she will go for there knees and ankles and when they go to the ground she goes for the neck or ears. i know that sounds like they are mean dogs but they are not. they are very friendly, very spoiled, they all sleep together in front of a heater we got them. they use each other as pillows. very timid puppies. but they like to play fight probably every other day on average.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Mike,

Now it is a shame that I cannot see the lump (your photo didn't seem to work), since we do have a few concerns for what you have described. In regards ***** ***** causes, a suddenly appearing mass in a young pup in this region can be related to trauma induced hematomas (blood blister like lesions), soft tissue swelling, abscesses, salivary gland infection/inflammation, lymph node enlargement, and insect sting induced allergic reactions. More sinister issues like cysts or tumors would be much less likely in Sabastian's situation.

Now with these in mind, we can start some supportive care to try and rule out some of these. To start, if there is any chance that he has been bitten or stung by an insect, then we can reduce allergic type swelling using antihistamines. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine; More Info/Dose). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) is often enough to reduce these signs over a few days. We do usually like to keep the dose low in dogs, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). As well, of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.

Furthermore, to reduce swelling with any of these sudden appearing concerns, you can also start warm compressing this lump. This can reduce inflammation as well as encourage hematomas and allergic reactions to settle. Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).

Now if you use the above, but the mass doesn't settle with anti-histamine treatment then it does rule allergic reactions to insects. And in that case leaves us with infection, traumatic damage, and issues involving the lymph nodes and salivary glands. In that case, the best way to approach an abnormal mass like this is to have your vet evaluate the mass via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the mass. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics would be indicated. If the salivary glands are inflamed, then this may require dog safe anti-inflammatories +/- antibiotics. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the growth can be determined and whether it is something that needs more specific treatment.

Overall, if this growth is sudden in appearance, we would consider those sudden onset concerns. Therefore, as long as it’s not painful or obviously draining pus, then you can try the above to rule out those aforementioned concerns. Otherwise, if this doesn’t settle; then we’d want to have your vet sample this mass to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it for your wee one.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )