Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My female mixed breed dog has lymes diagnosed of vet hospital

Customer Question

My female mixed breed dog has lymes diagnosed of vet hospital Sunday started her on 200 mg doxycycline twice a day she seems worse won't eat barely drinks and now can hardly stand going on third day shouldn't she be feeling better how can I get her to drink and eat. Putting water on her mouth to drink and force feeding her little bits of food because I know the antibiotic upsets their stomach. I just started giving her some probiotic today should I take her back to the vet. I also heard about holistic medicine or ledum 1mg to help. Please help......
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Was any blood work run when she went into the vet checking her liver or kidneys?
Did she have a fever at the time?
How long ago was she diagnosed?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes blood work was done Sunday. No fever but very lethargic and weak
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
I do think it is a good idea for the vet to recheck her. If she is not eating and not drinking she can be given something for nausea and rehydrated at the very least. We live near the north woods of Wisconsin and so see a lot of lyme disease. There are some dogs who will not feel good for up to a week so only three days without resolution is not surprising. As long as the kidneys and liver are fine (meaning they were not invaded by the lyme) then we need to be patient. If she seems painful in addition we weak then we should also start an anti-inflammatory medication to help control the discomfort. Finally, I have been stumped by a couple my patients who were not recovering, when we tested beyond lyme they were also infected with either Rocky Mt Spotted Fever, ehrlichia, and or anaplasma which are carried in the same ticks as lyme disease and can be tramsmitted at the same time as lyme, these infections respond better to different drugs than the doxycycline. So I would take her back and look for other concurrent infection and get her rehydrated and lest nauseas. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Joanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Dan