dvs1986
dvs1986, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Obtained doctorate of veterinary medicine. Currently working in Michigan at a small and large animal clinic.
75896157

Our miniature Snauzer is 14 1/2 years old. She became ill

Customer Question

Our miniature Snauzer is 14 1/2 years old. She became ill with diarrhea and vomiting refusing to eat anything except grass. Our vet checked her and the test showed that it was pancreatitus. We love her and want what is best for her. She has not eaten anything for the last 5 days except a very small amount on the second day. Our vet wanted her to stay for three days. He has given her IV's and she is now hydrated. She has a heart mummer. She has kidney problems. She takes one Benazepril 5mg tablet per day. She has done well with this pill. It hurts to see her so weak and sick. He told us that she would eat today. She has not eaten anything yet. Now, he told us that she knows when she can eat. So we wait... Do you agree that we wait to see if she will eat after this many days? Or, should we have her put to sleep so that she will not suffer anymore. Gayle Strickland *****@******.***
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Van and I will be glad to help answer your questions today.
I am very sorry to hear that Heidi has pancreatitis and is not feeling well. The problem with this disease is that it can wax and wain and has the potential to reoccur in the future.
At this point in time, I usually will try syringe feeding a bland diet like Royal Canine gastrointestinal or even baby food. Once they get the food in their stomach, they start to build their appetite up again. Other times I need to place a feeding tube which can help in a big way.
In a pet this age, this is a very hard disease to deal with and very painful. I think that with the proper pain medications and trying to force feed or placing a feeding tube, that you should give it at least another day.
I would also recommend abdominal xrays and an abdominal ultrasound to ensure there is nothing else going on in the abdomen that is causing this issue.
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Just writing to see how Heidi is doing today?
Expert:  dvs1986 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gayle Strickland,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

dvs1986