Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is not eating or drinking water last 3 days.

Customer Question

My dog is not eating or drinking water for the last 3 days. And just lays around the all day. He is 2.5 year old cavalier king Charles.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Henry. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
If you look at his gums, are they pink, or pale in color? If pale, he needs medical attention.
If he is not eating or drinking, I am concerned he is dehydrated. Gently pinch some skin over his shoulders and let go; it should go right back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer than 1 second, he is dehydrated and needs to get fluids by IV or under the skin (SQ or subcutaneous fluids).
This could be many things: eating something he shouldn't, pain, internal disease (liver, pancreas, kidney), infection. The longer he goes without eating or drinking the more he will get dehydrated which will further complicate what ever is wrong.
He needs to be examined by veterinarian as the first step to determining where the problem is. Until you can get him to a vet, try to get him to take any liquids you can: warm (not hot) broth, Pedialyte, water, soup.
If he refuses to take any liquids at all, he really needs to get to a veterinarian, there is not much you can do for him at home if he won't take anything by mouth.
I am worried about him from your description, and I know you are worried, too. Please let me know if I can answer anything else and let me know how he is doing.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Henry. How is everything going?