Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dr. I found a tick in my dog dear last night and removed

Customer Question

hello dr.
I found a tick in my dog dear last night and removed it. however today I noticed his ear is red and there is pus inside. should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is the pus and redness just at the site where you removed the tick?
Or inside the ear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is inside the ear where we removed the tick.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Lan,

Now if this redness and pus is at the site of the tick bite; then we likely have an infected bite. Ticks are notorious for having dirty mouths and also often detach their mouth pieces and leave them behind in the bite wound when removed forcibly. Both of these factors can lead to infection of the skin at this point.

In regards ***** ***** for a tick bite, you can try some supportive care at this stage. Some dogs will need a short course of antibiotics but others will settle with topical treatment at home. Therefore, to start you will need to keep clean. To do so, you can cleanse this with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine or even salt water --1tbsp to a pint warm water). This will just reduce the bacterial population and help reduce infection. Further to this, after drying the skin thoroughly, you can apply topical OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) to help settle the infection. All of this can be done 2-3 times a day and we of course need to keep him from scratching the area (ie potentially placing an e-collar from your vet or pet store if he does scratch the area).

Overall, this does sound like the tick bite has become infected. In this situation, you can try the above to settle this for him. If you do so but it is not reducing and settling within the next 24-48 hours, then we'd want to consider having a check with his vet so that antibiotics can treat this from the inside out and get this all settled for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )