Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog has a cough. She has had her bordatella shot...could

Customer Question

My dog has a cough. She has had her bordatella shot...could it be allergies?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear that Harlee has a cough. I am happy to help you this evening. Unfortunately the bordatella vaccine does not prevent the kennel cough infection but will help her get over it quicker so it is still possible she can get kennel cough even though vaccinated. So if she has been groomed, boarded, or at puppy day care or a dog park in the past two weeks you will to have her seen and checked for kennel cough by your vet tomorrow so she can get on appropriate medications to treat it. It is possible though that it is allergies this time of year. You can try to give her benadryl at a dose of 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours. If it is allergies this can help. The dose of benadryl is higher in dogs than in humans so that is why she may need a couple tablets with her size. But again if there is any chance of it being kennel cough have her seen by your vet tomorrow. Waiting to long on kennel cough can result in it turning into pneumonia.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!