Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Same problem. My dog ate earth balance. It is 79% vegetable

Customer Question

same problem. My dog ate earth balance. It is 79% vegetable oil and he ate about 10-12 ounces. She ate it after she ate her dinner. She weighs about 70 pounds and is acting normally
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
This worries about pancreatitis. Even though it is a vegetable oil base there is a moderate fat content and with the amount ingested you will have gastroenteritis which can include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal cramping but can also lead to pancreatitis which is an inflammation of the pancreas and can be quite serious requiring hospitalization and iv fluids.
If this occurred within the last hour then I would advise inducing vomiting to minimize the absorption and hopefully prevent any side effects from the ingestion. You can do this with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (Ie for her size 2 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk her around to mix it in her stomach. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes this can be repeated once only
If no vomiting or if it is >1 hour after ingestion then please administer 20 mg pepcid (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days and tomorrow's meals should be white rice and boiled chicken in smaller quantities to ensure she is eating a bland diet and yet bulking to minimize diarrhea as well.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today. I am on-line another 30 minutes tonight to assist you both
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shelley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jelly Bean. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman