Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We just adopted a rescue dog. He got out of the house a week

Customer Question

We just adopted a rescue dog. He got out of the house a week ago, and we cannot get close enough to get him back, probably due to his past history of abuse. He circulates around our neighborhood of sparse houses on 3-5 acre lots. He comes to the house frequently to check us out. He sometimes approaches the house when we call him, but never close enough to catch him. We have spent HOURS displaying calming signals, adopting submissive postures, and feeding him. We bought a humane trap, but no dice. We are considering feeding him a sedative as a next step. Any other suggestions? As far as sedatives, I have read that Valium is a reasonable option, yes?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
It sounds like you have done all you can to try and help this lad calmly and with consideration for his not stressing him further. In this situation, sedation may be the next step. Valium is a drug that we use in dogs for sedation (though some can have paradoxical reactions to it and become even more excited). If you wish to read more about Valium and the doses we use in dogs (the oral is the same as what is listed for IV), you can do so via this resource (http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/diazepam-valium)
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )