Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

What's best to give congestion difficulty bre

Customer Question

What's best to give for nasal congestion difficulty breathing
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I am sorry your dog Kopper is nasally congested. Since oral antihistamines haven't helped you can try pediatric phenylephrine as an over the counter remedy:
http://www.drugstore.com/little-noses-decongestant-nose-drops-gentle-18-formula/qxp55252
You would apply 1 drop to alternating nostrils every 12 hours for 3 days. It cannot be used longer than 3 days as it will cause worsening of the congestion past that point.
Please be advised that purely allergic sinusitis (allergy as a cause of nasal congestion) is relatively infrequent in young dogs and there may be an underlying viral and/or bacterial issue among other less common potential causes of this problem (i.e. nasal foreign body, fungal disease, nasal mites, etc.).
If Kopper is coughing, lethargic or has decreased appetite, then I would recommend he see his veterinarian right away to make sure he doesn't require other more specific treatment. Likewise, if you try the pediatric phenylephrine and Kopper doesn't improve within 24 hours (despite feeling well otherwise), then it is likely that he needs to see a vet to figure out what is going on.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions or would like additional information. It is my goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Sincerely, Customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. He has an appt. On sat.I will try this during the interem. I hope it works
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you have received all the information you need, then I would appreciate an accept and positive rating for the question as that is the only way I am compensated.
Thanks so much, Customer
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to see how Kopper's visit with the vet went yesterday. I hope he has improved. Please let me know when you have a chance.
Thank you, Customer