Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

My 68 pound female doberman is taking Temaril-P allergies,

Customer Question

My 68 pound female doberman is taking Temaril-P for skin allergies, 1 tab per day. She recently began to scratch the outside of her face and as a result has irritated her gums. Is there a product I can rub on her gums to relieve the discomfort?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today. The Temaril P has systemic absorption, meaning it will help inflammation throughout the body, including on the gums. There is not a product made specifically to reduce gingival irritation, especially when it is due to accidental trauma. Most oral products are made to reduce tartar and that is not the problem here. The hard part with oral absorption is that the saliva is going to wash the medication away before good penetration can occur. Her dose may need to be increased temporarily to help the gum irritation. One tablet daily is a very low dose for a dog of her size.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I saw you had a chance to review my response but did not hear back from you. How are things going at this time?