Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I was just reading your response about injections of depo medrol.

Customer Question

I was just reading your response about injections of depo medrol. Do you prefer dexamethasone as an alternative for skin irritation? He weigh about 118 lbs and i have 80mg of each
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I actually prefer prednisone of dexamethasone because it is shorter acting and not as strong. 80 mg is quite a high dose even for a dog his sizeHere is an article on dexamethasone in dogs and the associated dosages:http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/dexamethasone
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Anti inflammatory dose is what you want for a skin issue and this article lists: Anti-inflammatory doses range from 0.1 to 0.3 mg per pound (0.2 to 0.5 mg/kg) up to twice dailyI personally use the lowest dose of the 0.1 mg/pound to minimize side effects yet control the itch and skin changesPlease let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I was just called into work for an emergency. I will be away from my computer for a little while and will return as soon as I am able. I apologize for any inconvenience...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have depo medrol and dexamethasone. i have used dexa in the past. The goal is to get ahead of things and be able to do daily naturopathic treatment to keep it minimized. Would you have a suggestion of one over the other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and what dosage would you suggest. He is about 115 lb Mastiff
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Dexamethasone oral defiinitely, I have listed the dosage above. Are you able to view it at 0.1 mg/ pound...I will check in later this afternoon. Again apologies but I have an emergency I have to attend to at my veterinary clinic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok great thanks. I have both as an injection and 80mg of each. Any direction would be great
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I do prefer oral formula, at 115 pounds (52 kg) x 0.5 mg/kg = 26 mg divided daily dose so that would be 10 mg or 1/8 of a tablet every 12 hours with foodIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman