Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a male Chinese crested about 4 years old and he has

Customer Question

I have a male Chinese crested about 4 years old and he has developed a golf ball size lump under his front left leg next to his ribs should I have this checked out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow has developed a golf ball sized lump under his left front leg next to his ribs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what could it be and what should I do about it?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Although he is young this is a pretty large lump and I definitely think that he needs to see his veterinarian.This may be a developing abscess from an accidental bite or scratch would from a play buddy, in which case it needs to be drained and he needs oral antibiotics.This could be a fatty tumor too, and although these are benign, meaning that they don't spread easily to other locations or invade deeply, this is a bad location as if it gets much bigger it will interfere with proper gait.It could also be an enlarged lymph node in that location. This can be secondary to a local or systemic infection, but it can also be secondary to a type of cancer called lymphoma. This cancer is treatable, and depending upon the type and how early we catch it we can give him a good quality of life for a period of time with treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Your veterinarian can examine him, look for any other signs of swelling or other enlarged lymph nodes, aspirate the mass to see what is causing it and determine what treatment is appropriate.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I will take him in...thx
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, please let me know how things go for him at his appointment, thanks, ***** *****