Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

I had a dog a year ago that suddenly could not eat or drink

Customer Question

I had a dog a year ago that suddenly could not eat or drink properly. He was diagnosed as have an immune disorder and put to sleep shortly after because he was just not recovering. 10 months later we have a 9 month old puppy diagnosed as having Hip Dysplasia and has improved with normal meds for this issue. Now we have a 12 week old puppy display hind leg issues and we were told he was over heated after describing the day he started having issues. I find it strange that 3 dogs in my house have come down with some type of paralysis. Any ideas if these could be related?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
I am Dr. Emily and I would like to assist with your question today. Unless your puppies were from the same breeding pair, it is highly unlikely for the issues to be related. The immune disorder the first puppy had and the hip dysplasia of the second puppy are very unrelated issues. Hip dysplasia is unfortunately common in certain large breed dogs and is inherited. The puppy shows signs usually before 1 year of age. As far as your newest puppy, I cannot confirm what your vet told you about his condition without further information. If you have questions about your 12 week old, please let me know. But to answer your original question, no I do not believe that these are related conditions.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 2 years ago.
Hello
I saw you had a chance to review the information I submitted. Do you have any further questions at this time?