Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog just doesn't seem to be interested in eating. She's

Customer Question

My dog just doesn't seem to be interested in eating. She's been eating the same dog food since she was a pup so I wonder if she's sick of it. Doesn't seem to have any signs or symptoms of anything serious that I know of. She's a one year old German shepherd and seems like she is skinnier than she should be. Concerned!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  benedetta7 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Benedetta, and I would be happy to help with your question.It is unlikely that a young dog just gets tired of her food, and stops eating it. Although German Shepherds often are not ravenous eaters, like some other breeds, she should be eating her food, in the normal amount, every day.There are a few things that come to mind, such as intestinal parasites, food sensitivities/intolerance (such as they can progress to Irritable Bowel Syndrome), some endocrine diseases and more.The good thing is that she does not have other signs, such as vomiting, or lose stool, so you have time to figure this out, with the help of your veterinarian. It can be done in a step by step approach, starting with a fecal test for intestinal parasites, and then dietary intervention, blood work, and if needed an abdominal ultrasound.Hope this helps and gives you some ideas as to what to do next. I would have her seen before trying dietary interventions on your own, especially if you suspect weight loss, because just changing foods at random can confuse the picture.