Dr. Nobuki
Dr. Nobuki, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian in Tampa, Florida
76407668

Dr Deb. My Husky is having difficulty taking a poop. I am

Customer Question

Hi Dr Deb. My Husky is having difficulty taking a poop. I am looking for a way to fix his problem. What to do..?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. Nobuki. Have you tried anything yet and if so, what?
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 1 year ago.
Well, there are a few things that I start off with to see if it helps. 1st - I decrease the fiber to moisture content in the diet by feeding a wet food diet, mixing a wet food diet with the dry food if he likes dry mainly, or I add water to the dry food so he is essentially drinking and eating at the same time. 2nd - I will add fish oils daily to the diet to not only help loosen up the bowels but it also helps with hair coat, kidney health and joint health. 3rd - I add Laxatone daily 1/4 tablespoon to again help lubricate the intestinal tract and help poop move along. You can find this in the cat aisle usually because it helps with hairballs. I would try these things first before starting medications such as Lactulose which pull water into the intestinal tract. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I explained earlier I have taken the dog for a walk and made sure he had plenty of water to drink. Nothing else that I don't normally do. This is a first for him. In one attempt a couple of hours ago he passed a mustard colored amount the size of a pencil eraser. Not firm but soft about the consistency of ice cream.
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 1 year ago.
Ah yes. It appears that constipation is not the issue, but the possible lack of poop since it is coming out a little softer. There are many possible causes of this ranging from stress to needing a little more fiber in the diet. I usually recommend adding rice cakes to the diet as a treat to see if it helps improve the stool. If the stool remains soft then, sometimes a fecal is necessary to check for intestinal parasites.
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 1 year ago.
Squatting like this or even the small amount of soft stools are not usually a health concern unless they are longer than 48 hours. Pets just like us go through times of stress and if it is purely stress, the body usually recovers after 48 hours. If it continues, then I'll usually start with a fecal test before giving medications/special diet to help the bowels a little.
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 1 year ago.
Definitely try the rice cakes though because they will bulk up the stool and help things move along and move the gas out as well.
Expert:  Dr. Nobuki replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helped you and I hope you have a wonderful evening.