Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog swallowed a stimulant medication I take called

Customer Question

Hi
My dog swallowed a stimulant medication I take called vyvanse 70mg. It is 10:17 pm now. He swallowed at 8pm. My mom took out of his mouth and washed his mouth. Im worried he ingested sone of the white powder. Shoukd I go to to animal emergency now?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Was your mom able to get the pill out of his mouth? 2- How much does he weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes she got it out of his mouth and washed his mouth. He weighs between 6 to 8 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Was it a capsule or pill?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is still active but im worried. I dont want to wait long
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, I am confused; is any part of the pill missing or did the capsule open and spill in his mouth?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it was on the ground abd he ate it. My mom took it out of his mouth then rinsed his mouth with water.it has been almost 3 hours since he ate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since he ate the pill
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
So, it is safe to say that your mom got all of the pill, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is. But still he did ingest the powder inside
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The capsule. Yes she took it out but he did ingest some white powder
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if he did ingest the powder the best option is having him checked by ER veterinarian to start him on activated charcoal. Inducing vomiting at home will not help as it has been more than 2 hours. Do Not wait and have him checked by ER veterinarian. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if he is not vimiting, it does not mean he is fine? Should I go to emergency room now? My parents say he is active and.playing and he is fine. I want to make sure everything is fine with him
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
If he is not showing any symptoms that is very good. Typically we begin to see symptoms within 30 minutes. You can observe him, if no symptoms develop within 6-12 hours, unlikely for any symptoms to develop. Symptoms to look for are: Agitation, vomiting, tremors, changes in respiration, etc.