DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is digging at his teeth why

Customer Question

my dog is digging at his teeth why
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if i can help. Is this a new behavior? Any recent history of eating something he shouldnt? Any vomiting or inappetance?
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.
The most likely explanation is that this is a sign of oral pain. It could be pain from one tooth or multiple teeth/his gums. Do the gums look reddened and inflammed? Does he have bad breath? These things might indicate that he needs a dental.Another possibility includes a foreign body or injury in the mouth- does he chew on bones or hard toys? Bite at his kennel? if he will let you, check for any cuts or injuries in the mouth. Or look for string or a piece of bone or rawhide(if he chews on such things) stuck between teeth.Finally, in some cases, it can be a sign of nausea. Especially if you are seeing the pawing in association with obsessive licking or salivating or decreased appetite. This could indicate low grade pancreatitis or an infection. if you think it sounds like he might be nauseous, then you should schedule an appointment with your vet to look into it.I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMelJ