Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just read through this very helpful response (thank

Customer Question

i just read through this very helpful response (thank you!), but have additional questions. My son thinks our puppy may have swallowed a marble, but he isn't sure. The marble is a standard small marble (about a centimeter in diameter). The puppy is a 9 lbs Great Pyrenees. We induced vomitting within 30 minutes of the incident. I gave him some moist puppy food just prior to inducing vomitting with the hydrogen peroxide.
He vomitted a lot for several minutes and is now sleeping. He did not vomit up the marble.
So, I figure either it was too "heavy" or he didn't actually swallow it.
Should I follow up with some canned pumpkin, just to be sure?
Thank you so much for you time!!!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Hopefully your pup did not swallow the marble. But if he did in this sort of situation there are really only two possible outcomes, one being that the marble will just pass through his alimentary tract without problem { Which is probably unlikely in a nine pound pup }. The second possibility is that the marble will get trapped in his intestinal tract and cause an obstruction which is a very serious situation. 2. What to do about it? : You did the right thing in trying to induce vomiting but it was not successful so all you can do now is treat him as normal but observe him carefully for signs of intestinal tract obstruction symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining, and of course if such should occur then contact your vet without delay. The correction in these sorts of situations is often surgical I am afraid. 3. " Should I follow up with some canned pumpkin? " : There is no harm in trying this but there is only a small chance it will be helpful. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?